Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Miracle of Coincidence

Half of this week i spent it alone. My wife is back in Thailand to see our family there. Now i really realize the meaning of "it is not good for a man to live alone"!

On the day we left to the airport for her flight, i notice several stick outside of the house filled with nails. It looks like that this stick used to be an homemade clothes hanger that you stick it to the wall. Our neighbor seems to just dump it at the front of their flat since it was broken. A little bit annoyed, i asked Lerie "hey what do you think this stick are for? why our neighbor just put it here?" She just say "i dont know" and we left for the airport.

Now this evening i have a bible study appointment which i almost miss. Having used to be reminded to look for the key before leaving the house, i accidentally left my key in the house. As i went out from the house, i just remember that i left the key somewhere inside. I was so panicked and couldn't belief what just happen. Now like most door in HDB Apartment, the only knob for the door is inside the house. The only way to open the door from outside is with the key. There is no other way than that. All the window are tightly sealed with metal bar and since our house is at the 11th floor there is no way i can climb up trough the back door. To make the matter worse, the only spare keys that we have was with my wife in Thailand!

Just before i left the house, i stopped for a small prayer asking for God's guidance and protection for my trip this afternoon. The next second i got locked up.

All those judgmental mind blaming God start to appear in my mind. "God, how could you do this to me? I just pray few seconds ago to ask for your guidance and protection and look what happen to me?" I was so panic i couldn't sit and try to figure out how to solve this problem. I was thinking to go and sleepover at my friends house until my wife come but this sabbath i am going to preach and all my sermon material and my church dress are inside the house.

I was very discouraged so i sat at the door and pray again. "God, i dont know what happened but i need your help". I try to open the window, and push the grill but nothing move. Our window is the old style window which are sliding upward rather than side by side. I was thinking to take out some glassed any maybe by doing that i can slip trough but the grill are just too tight (that's what they made for anyway, to prevent people slip trough unless you are Harry Houdini i guess)
However as i try to flip the window, i notice that my key was a the working table beside the window. But my hand was not long enough to reach it. Most of the time, i will put the key on our bedroom and not on the working room. But somehow that day, the key "decide" to stay at my working room!

It is so close yet so far...

But then i looked to the left and saw that broken little piece of wood stuck with nails. The wood is just enough to slip trough the grill and the nail was made as the hook for clothes and for any other thing that can be hooked included a keychain ring!

Immediately i took the wood, slip it trough, and in a matter of second my house key is at my palm safe and sound.

Now if you asked an evolutionary psychologist, what the "moral" of this story they might say that it is the prove of our ancestry brain development of using tools back in the stone age. Our ancestor also looked around their environment, try to associate it with something they know before and create a new tools for survival.

If you asked an statistician, they might say that this coincidence can happen every 1/100 incident and somehow i fell into that small fraction where the chance is for me

But i am not an evolutionary physician nor mathematician. I am just a simple pastor who believe in God that are involved in every single part of my life even to help my when i am being locked up. This whole incident is just simply another miracle in my life.

How can the key was there, when it suppose to be on the other room all the times?

How can the wood are there when it supposed to be dumped?

Now i used to have skepticism regarding miracle, until i meet my father in law who always say "oh anoter mirakel" or " mirakel will hapen as long as you bilip in it" in his deep, heavy, visayas accent. Now i believe what he says is true even more.

I was complaining to God that why he let this thing happen just few seconds after i pray for protection, i didn't realize He already prepared the answer days before this incident happen.
Probably God was smiling, when i complain to my wife why this wood is here...

Now some might still feel that this is just a coincidence...okay...

just yesterday before this incident happen, i was thinking for a sermon illustration. (For those of you who ever listen to my sermon, i believe a powerful illustration is your own personal testimony and its proven true). Yet i couldnt find it...

and the theme of my sermon this sabbath will be : "God never makes a mistake when he is dealing with our life. He always gives us things at the right time and at the right place."

Another Coincidence?

No comments: