Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jealousy and Envy

I was reminded about the tenth commandment that speaks about envy and jealousy. Thou shall not envy. This particular commandment was given to the bless nation in whom God provide His blessing. However, As I put a special thought in it. This commandment will not be imparted unless the nation of Israel are completely equal in all things. What is the point of putting such commandment into the Decalogue if all people will have the same amount of property, belonging, wife(?) and cattle? Looking at this statement, that means there are different social strata among the Israelites in the term of monetary and sociological standpoint. However, differences seems to be something that God does not consider as something to fix. But rather, differences create that unique element of a creative and intelligent God.
Where do I actually bring this discussion to? That equality cannot be defined only in a term of same level of everything. That all people should be the same in all thing, and then truths shall come. But rather we must live and be content with the blessing and providence that God has provided for all of us.
We are living in the world where that differences has come to even a more evil details. Just yesterday I encounter the discussion between two guys regarding the type of their iPhone. One is 3G and the other iPhone 4. The person who has 3G has to complains about the "lowliness" of his phone compare to the rest of the society. That incident might sound trivial, and not worth of notice. However for me, i feel the same sense of feeling often in my life. I do feel like that man who complains abot his 3G phone in some things in my life. Unless I have the most advance technology, then I am somebody. If I don't have the latest gadget, then latest car, the most advance tools of trade, somehow my value as human being will be degraded and lowered. We human being just want it more and more. Even when I notice most of that gadget just end up a decoration in our house or office. Our crave is not based on necessity, but rather feeling of security of having something better than other. We are still leading on the race. Well, I have to admit as well that I am probably are one of those people. I also want the latest, best, top, of things in life not because I really need it but it just bring sense of security more than anything. In reality, I can still do much things with all the blessing I receive and all are good enough for me. God is still too generous for such a person like me.
Envy is driven not because of what we need, but rather by what we don't have.

No comments: